The function of ignition system is to produce spark to initiate combustion process.
- The temperature required to ignite the fuel varies accordingly.
- The ignition process starts only if the fuel attains its self ignition temperature.
- The spark with it self ignition temperature is required to start the ignition process.
- The requirements of ignition system based on the working conditions.
IGNITION SYSTEM WORKS ACCORDING TO THE LOAD CONDITIONS :
- The ignition timing should be advanced during light load conditions.
- As at light loads the engine requires lean air fuel mixture which creates vacuum in the intake manifold.
- This makes the combustion process slower.
- The system should have distributors to create spark in different cylinders .
- However in electronic ignition system distributors are not present.
- In this case spark can be created with the arrangement of multi-cylinders.
HOW TO IGNITION SYSTEM WORK IN MULTI CYLINDER ENGINE:
- In multi cylinder engine ignition should take place in sequence.
- In this case ignition system helps in controlling the spark timing and sequence of firing order according to the engine requirement.
HOW TO IGNITION WORK IN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE:
- The ignition system work in internal combustion engine.
- An internal combustion engine is a device in which chemical energy converted into electrical energy and heat energy converted into mechanical energy.
- In the internal combustion engine order to release the heat energy from chemical energy.
- The air and fuel must be ignited at the end of the compression stroke .
- In a spark ignition engine the mixture is ignited using a spark plug.
HOW TO IGNITION SYSTEM WORK IN DIESEL ENGINE:
- In diesel engine the air and fuel mixture at the end of the compression stroke is ignited by itself.
- This is possible by compressing the air to a high temperature and pressure with high compression ratio and injecting the fuel in to the combustion chamber such that the mixture reaches its self ignition temperature.