Milling operations is a process of producing flat and complex shapes with the used of multi tooth cutting tool.
Axis rotation of the cutting tool is perpendicular to the direction of feed either parallel to perpendicular to the machined surface.
Milling is an interrupted cutting operation the teeth of the milling cuter enter and exit the work during each revolution.
Machining of flat surfaces,key ways,Slots,pockets and profile.
cutting tools – HSS CARBIDE.
Surface finish achievable (RA value in microns ):3.2
Machine both conventional and CNC type.
Main types of conventional machine.
- Plain milling machines.
- Horizontal milling machine.
- vertical milling machine.
OTHER TYPES OF CONVENTIONAL MACHINES
- Universal milling machine.
- Ram type milling machine.
- Bed type milling machine.
- By face milling cutter
- By end mill cutter
- For machining pockets slots,key way,etc
SIDE AND FACE MILLING
- By side and face milling cutter.
- By form milling cutter.
- Angle milling cutter or fitting spindle head in vertical.
- By metal slit saw.
- Formed tooth cutter with dividing head.
KEY WAY MILLING
By plain milling cutter or end milling cutter.
Will produce grooves and prosphery of cylindrical work,reamer/Drill flutes cam grooves.
By a ball nose cutter on CNC Milling machine (Both 2d and 3d profiles)